Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sacrifice for Lent: Facebook and Myspace


I can't say that I'm a devout follower of the Catholic church. Nor do I agree with all of the teachings of the church but that to me is a personal preference and choice. But when I went to church last Sunday with a friend and noted that Lent's coming up, it got me thinking about partaking in it this year.

After some thinking and meditation, I figured to just sacrifice using social networking websites for 40 days. To some, it's not big deal. But for a social butterfly like myself, it is a big deal. It doesn't help that I have just taken up on an interest in finding more about my family and reconnecting w/ family members through Facebook. So, I really can't wait for Easter to come around.

I have spent so much time just chatting w/ friends or finding out who's who and what's what in the sites. Needless to say, I have also wasted countless hours on the apps although they did provide temporary amusement until I get bored and want to move on to something else.

With all of the time I've used in these networking sites, I hope to develop a new habit of reassigning them to better opportunities such as retouching up on my marketing skills and just finishing up my pharm tech certification. Or work on my community service. Or finally spend a lot of much-needed time in the library.

Aside from reaping the benefits of creating new habits, I suppose I'm just taking the time to prove to myself again that I can do anything that I put my mind into. Not a bad idea right?

So, when is Easter coming again? How long do I have to wait?

3 comments:

  1. Happy SITS Sunday :) Your comment was above mine.

    Faye @ GreenOrganicMama.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just talking to my BF about this today! That like I am on facebook, myspace, blogger, google reader, and countless of other sites I feel like what am I doing!? I could be at the gym or spending time with people or you know something productive!!(not to see reconnecting with ur fam isnt) So I am trying to minimize my time on the world wide web in general. You can totally do it =)

    Stopping By From SITS =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get where you're coming from. I was thinking that I should be looking for more ways to make money instead of just sitting around doing nothing.

    ReplyDelete