Monday, June 7, 2010

Go Team!!!



This season is the season of giving and it's not even Christmas yet. I've decided to join Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training (TnT). The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) provided us an opportunity to train for a marathon or half-marathon. They also have other programs such as a triathlon and the century ride. All of which are endurance activities.

I have personally committed to fundraise $3250 this season towards Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It's a very high commitment to make in such an economy. However after finding out that the society have funded research for Gleevec, a cancer medication, it became personal. I have also discovered numerous personal contacts that also have to go through cancer treatments. In my line of work, I've spoken to patients that has to go through different kinds of conditions from cancer to multiple sclerosis to rheumatoid arthritis. My heart reaches out to my patients that have to suffer through their condition. Knowing how much money it takes to stay on therapy and be able to afford the maintenance medications each month, raising my commitment amount seems menial.

As an alumni to TnT, I can't say that this is my very first marathon. I have also trained and completed my first marathon back in January 2007 for the Disney Marathon. To this day, it is still a challenge to be doing an endurance run since my body is adept at doing short distances. I believe that with the right training, I should be able to complete it. I've done it before so it shouldn't be a doubt now. The biggest challenge is the fact that this season's marathon is going to be held in San Francisco, California. The course would encompass the famous hills. And I live here in Florida - known for being flat. Coach indicated that we would be running a lot in Clermont. With that in mind, keeping up with the 6-days a week training becomes essential.

I'm open-minded to a lot of suggestions regarding fundraising and training. I've been getting a lot of advice regarding modifying my diet and taking supplements. To my dismay, I have to figure out everything I'm eating and putting them into categories so I can find out what nutrition I'm lacking. I'm sure it's not all that bad once I get going. The only problem is I love to eat so I'll be stuffing it in before trying to analyze how much protein or complex carbohydrates I've just eaten.

I wish to be able to brainstorm regarding fundraising with someone. I'm trying to fill in the how to be able to reach my fundraising goal at the moment. Possibly raffle off a trip? Or sell something else? This calls for a plan of action.

Provided that training with TnT requires mental and physical challenges, it's been an interesting journey for far. And the season has just started.

"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory." - General George S. Patton

If you'd like to help and donate to Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, please stop by my site -> Jan's Team In Training Page

No comments:

Post a Comment